1 brown onion, diced
1 lemongrass stalk, cut in thirds
1 long red chilli, diced and deseeded
2 tbsp diced fresh coriander (cilantro) stalks
2cm (3/4 in.) fresh galangal piece 2cm (3/4 in.) turmeric piece
4 kaffir lime leaves, optional
2 tsp coconut oil
3 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin 1 large garlic clove, diced
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 litre (1 qt.) vegetable stock
Peel from half of fresh lime
1/2 cup coconut cream (100ml or 3 1/2 fl. oz.), plus extra to serve
2 tbsp lime juice Coriander leaves to serve
1. Saute onion, lemongrass, chilli, coriander stalks, galangal, turmeric and kaffir lime leaves in coconut oil, on medium heat, for 2Â–3 minutes.
2. Add pumpkin, garlic, lime peel, fish sauce and vegetable stock and bring to boil.
3. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes, until pumpkin is soft when poked with a knife.
4. Remove turmeric, galangal, lime peel and lemongrass from the soup and transfer the rest to a food processor or a blender.
5. Puree until smooth, then add coconut cream and lime juice. Whiz a couple more times to incorporate.
6. Serve with a ripple of coconut cream and fresh coriander leaves on top.