8 ripe tomatoes, Roma or round but not Beefsteak
1 small red onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeds scooped out
1 small green pepper, core and seeds out, chopped
1 small red pepper, core and seeds out, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 long red chilli, seeds out
1 orange, a little zest + juice
2 tbsp Apple Cider or Sherry vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
1 cup tomato juice
1 cup cold water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Garnish with diced cucumbers, red pepper, red onion and more olive oil
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil.
2. Place tomatoes in boiling water for 20 seconds or until their skins crack.
3. Remove and rinse under cold water.
4. Peel the skin off, cut into quarters and remove the seeds.
5. Peel the cucumber and cut in half going lengthways.
6. Using a spoon, remove some of the more obvious seeds.
7. Roughly cut all vegetables.
8. Process tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, onion, chilli, garlic and orange zest with water and tomato juice in a food processor or a blender until fairly smooth consistency.
9. Then add olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, salt and pepper and process quickly until well incorporated but not over-blended so it starts foaming.
10. Depending on the consistency you prefer, you can add more water or tomato juice.
11. Eat right away or refrigerate for an hour before serving in bowls or glasses.